Over 100 years in Portugal

Bayer’s presence in Portugal dates back to 1884, when a representative for our country was appointed by the parent company in Germany to sell and distribute its products.

Only 25 years later, in 1908, the new affiliate, FRED BAYER & CA, was officially announced and headquartered in Portugal. The company was born one year later, in 1909.

We have had many memorable moments during this journey of more than 110 years:

1914
Emergence of the agricultural sector in Portugal – now Bayer CropScience

1920
Porto branch opens

1937
Cruz Bayer sign fitted to the roof of the Rossio building

1955
Incorporation of Sociedade Bayer Farma Limitada

1991
Opening of new Bayer headquarters in Carnaxide

2001
Acquisition of Aventis CropScience

2007
Takeover of Schering AG

2009
Commemoration of 100 years of Bayer in Portugal

2018
Acquisition of Monsanto